Thursday 13 June
- 6am – meet at Reagan Nat’l Airport in DC for 7:45 am departure on United Flt 531
- 1:30 pm arrival in Anchorage
- after picking up the SUVs, we will make a quick grocery run and head out north on the Glenn Hwy to Chugach State Park
- Tonight we camp in a Forest Service cabin next to Yuditna Creek, overlooking the stunning Eklutna Lake. The evening will be spent organizing our gear, reviving a bit from the day’s travel around the fire pit, and reviewing the basics of backcountrytrekking.
Friday, Sat, Sun 14, 15, 16 June
- Early morning rise, breakfast, and final distribution of group gear precedes our hitting what’s left of the Eklutna Lake trail. After a couple of miles, the trail ends in a sub-alpine meadow and we begin our climb up the valley towards Bold Ridge.
Monday 17 June
- Today we return to our SUVs at the Eklutna Lake trailhead and drive eastward on the Glenn Hwy to McCarthy. We camp tonight near the Copper River and prepare our equipment for tomorrow’s bush flight.
Tuesday 18 June – meet Wrangell Mountian Air for our flight into the backcountry of the Wrangell-St. Elias National Park.
Wednesday 26 June
- pick-up at Solo Creek for our return flight to McCarthy; the remainder of the day is spent relaxingand recouping with a brisk swim in the pools of glacial run-off; tonight we enjoy a hearty celebratory diner at the Golden Saloon
Thur, 27 June – Drive to Copper Center to meet River Wrangler Fishing Guides
Fri, Sat 27 and 28 June – Fishing Klutina Lake and River
- Head up the Klutina via jet-boat to some world class fishing; red salmon, grayling, and trout will be hitting at this time of year. Experienced Alaskan fishing guides will teach the fundamentals of fly fishing. We camp tonight on the banks of the lake.
Sunday 30 June – Return to the World
- leisurely drive back to Anchorage
- pizza at the Moose’s Tooth
- flight home
Monday 1 July – arrive back in DC/pick-up at Reagan Nat’l Airport